View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:33 pm

Docking chat pane to fill leftover space? 

Post Re: Docking chat pane to fill leftover space?
Looks like the layout format has changed significantly since mDuo's days, as loading one makes ORPG hurl exceptions like crazy

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "H:\OpenRPG1.8\orpg\tools\decorators.py", line 106, in new_func
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File "H:\OpenRPG1.8\orpg\main.py", line 1307, in AfterSplash
self.frame = orpgFrame(None, wx.ID_ANY, CLIENT_STRING)
File "H:\OpenRPG1.8\orpg\main.py", line 121, in __init__
self.build_gui()
File "H:\OpenRPG1.8\orpg\main.py", line 713, in build_gui
maximized = int(base.get('maximized'))
TypeError: int() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:49 pm

I saw that too. I am sorry that the layout does not work the way you want it too. I have never been able to put docks into tabs like you are doing.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Huh. Oh well, unexpected feature of the docking library probably, rather than a deliberate one.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:09 pm

Well I guess someone changed it. There is code in there to support tabs but I can't seem to get it to work for me. I also cannot either (1) drag around the map pane as you seem to be doing in your example image, or (2) drop any pane into another to form a tabber through the GUI as you seem to have combined chat and map panes in your example.

How do you do those things? ignoring the toolbar docklayout thing I have this in layout.xml:

Code:
<orpg_gui height="698" maximized="1" posx="-8" posy="-8" width="1024">
  <chat caption="Chat X Window" direction="Bottom" dockable="1" height="356" layer="1" pos="1" width="824" />
  <tree caption="Gametree" direction="Left" dockable="1" height="357" layer="3" pos="0" width="200" />
  <player caption="Player List" direction="Left" dockable="1" height="356" layer="3" pos="1" width="200" />
  <map caption="Map Window" direction="Center" dockable="1" height="357" layer="2" pos="0" width="824" />
</orpg_gui>

As far as I can see the tabber works, or is supposed to work, something like this:
Code:
<orpg_gui height="698" maximized="1" posx="-8" posy="-8" width="1024">
  <tab caption="All in on Tab" direction="Bottom" dockable="1" height="698" layer="1" pos="1" width="1024" >
<chat/>
<map/>
<tree/>
<player/>
</tab>
</orpg_gui>

Well it doesn't and what you do get ends up really screwy as far as messaging between the panes goes so nothing works right, but perhaps if I could see how it saves a tabber formed through the GUI..... I assume that you are supposed to release the mouse when hovering over the central square of a pane while dragging the pane you want to add to it as a tabber, but nothing happens when I do that.

The last time I played with this stuff mduo's stuff worked so sorry about that. back then the weird stuff only happened when you decided it would be cool to add eg two tree panes or two chat or map panes.....

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:45 pm

Ok, this is very interesting.

1.8, fresh out of the Windows zip file - I can drag the Map window around, the Browse Server window is dockable, and when I drag any window around onto another window, the little "cloverleaf" of arrows that pops up to let you pick where to dock it has a "tabbed folder" icon in the middle. I drop the window on to that icon, it becomes part of a stack of tabs.

Let 1.8 update from the server - Browse Server window is no longer dockable, map window can no longer be dragged, the "tabbed folder" icon vanishes and the "Cloverleaf" of arrows can no longer be used to dock things in a stack of tabs.

So it looks like it was a "feature" that wasn't intended to be turned on, and was since disabled.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:12 pm

Either that or someone accidentally messed it up (maybe me) without realising it.

I guess I find this interesting but I probably ought to pursue the shared data and shared bonus/effects stuff first. (New features).

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:12 am

Well I don't know why, but if you delete the big "<DockLayout> tag in the 1.8.0.4 version, or simply use the 1.8.0 layout.xml then you get the 1.8.0 behaviour in 1.8.0.4 -- that really is the only difference, that extra tag.

Now if you drag the chat window on to the map window you don't get that grey gap at the top the way you do if you drag the map to the chat. It might be because the map's orientation is "center" which might mean "I am the panel that fills up the rest of the space" as opposed to "bottom", "left" or whatever which seem lees greedy.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:38 am

Hm. I'm still getting the big gap. Can you post the layout.xml file that produced that result for you? If it works when I cut and paste it into mine, I'll be VERY pleased. Lots of real-estate freed up on my poor little netbook :D

EDIT: Hang on never mind. I think I was reflexively dragging the map on to chat again. Wow. Force of habit is strong in this one.

THANKS A BUNCH!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:04 am

Whenever you find time to come back to this, no worries. I appreciate your finding the work around :D

And it remember from session to session after rewriting layout.xml (just tested a few times) hurray!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:12 am

change your layout.xml file to

Code:
<orpg_gui height="978" maximized="1" posx="-8" posy="22" width="1680">
    <tab caption="chat/map" direction="Center" dockable="1" height="357" layer="2" pos="0" width="824">
        <chat name="Chat Window" />
        <map name="Map Window" />
    </tab>
    <tree caption="Gametree" direction="Left" dockable="1" height="357" layer="3" pos="0" width="200" />
    <player caption="Player List" direction="Left" dockable="1" height="356" layer="3" pos="1" width="200" />
</orpg_gui>

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:38 pm