View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 pm

Concerning OpenRPG Issues in Windows 7 

Post Re: Concerning OpenRPG Issues in Windows 7
Fish can fly out of water. ;)

I believe there is a ZIP file. You'll have to wait for David's official response.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:52 am
Profile YIM WWW

Ok. Thank you and everyone for your patience and help on the issue.

I'm... for lack of a better word off top of my head... glad that the issue is at least not unique to Medulla's situation.

Hm.. glad. Not liking that word. But, yeah.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:56 am

Just use the zip-file for Linux on this Page
Or the Direct link

I did the same an hour ot two ago and it works on Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit, with the recomended Versions of Python and wxPython. Since this is not a native Windows programm (or a programm at all ;) ) it doesn't uses the registry and thereforce needs no installer.exe/.msi in the first place.
I think they only add it for convenience, so that it may make an uninstall entry and make a desktop icon/starmenu entry - things you don't need on linux. Well, Gillcrease - installer also fetches and installs Python for you.
Traipse has his setup.py, but I can verify that Gillcrease-Release works when placed to "C:\OpenRPG" without extra work (except making the link on your desktop and installing Python and wxpython manually, if not already happened).

Some error guessing on my part:
Is it possible that you placed OpenRPG somewhere in your userprofile? Could you give us the path you used in the first tries? Perhaps there something with the path that let's Python or Windows fail to sucesfully find the file under certain cicumstances. Some way to repoduce it.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:32 pm

Anticlimatic solve while I was waiting for this response:

As I figured it was already as broke as could be I sent him my XP copy, the whole folder in a zip.

It worked. Reproduced my settings, and I had to walk him through repurposing the sound paths and what not so they werne't aiming at folders that don't exist.

Sorry I didn't update this topic, but thank you for your patience and dealing with this issue, and thank you Prof.Ebral in specific for giving me the idea in the first place and deciphering the error message, and to DavidByron for getting us to the mesage in the first place.

And sorry to Christopher for not replying to this thread in a quick manner when it did work.

I hope though that this thread can help others if they ever have the same issue.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:57 am

Yes; sorry for not getting back to this thread. Not sure how that happened.

But yes the installation is just copying files now so it's easy to zip it or you can download the files using mercurial from the source. Also it means multiple copies no longer mess with each other. Big improvement and got rid of various bugs from earlier 1.7.x versions.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:36 pm