View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:05 am

Are there NO Female gamers?! 

Post Are there NO Female gamers?!
Are there absoloutly NO female gamers? I mean seriously! I've met two on here in my 4 years of using OpenRPG! O_O Seriously!

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Are there NO Female gamers?!
:)

If you plan on meeting women gaming, you are going to be a lonely guy... I bet there are like 50 male gamers to every female gamer, which does not put the odds in your favor. And...

More than half of the "female" gamers I have met online turn out to be guys once they get on skype, etc.

And for the cynical out there, you might be amused that I have met several couples where the woman gamed up until they got married, then they both became "too busy" to game anymore much to the poor bastard's dismay. You can see that "caged in a zoo" look in the poor guy's eyes when you mention gaming and he must politely decline.

But, if you decide that you are determined to find a gamer girl, I would recommend the following :

1) Look for RP intensive games, where there is a battle like every 6th to 9th gaming session and the rest of the time is all talk. Vampires are good as well...
2) Look for LARPers, when I used to go to conventions, the only cute young skantily clad women were in the LARPs.
3) Recruit women into your games that are not gamers currently, this usually leads to a lack of gaming on your part once you settle down, but hey, nothing good lasts...
4) If all else fails, and I mean you are very desperate and will settle for a non-gamer... try picking up other hobbies in addition to gaming, I hate to say it, but there is more to life than just gaming ** dodges the missile from the angry gamers that don't want to hear that ** I mean, join other groups: skiing, church, hiking clubs, etc. where you can meet non-gamers, and then just game a couple nights a week or they will dump you flat :)

I have been gaming since I was 10, and neither of my wives was a gamer, the first was an interrogator for the US Army, the second was a psych nurse (and no, for the cynical out there, I was NOT her patient) :) I think I know you well enough to say, "Hang in there, your time will come". Good luck recruiting female gamers though, if you find any in the 35-45 range, hook me up, I am looking for number 3 ...

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:42 pm

I have one in my Saturday game.

She's been with me for a little over a year now.

Taliesin

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Haha, it's not that I was looking for one, I already know two, but I was just surprised at the severe lack of them.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:44 am
Profile YIM WWW

In my 30+ yrs of gaming, I've met and gamed with many female gamers. Most at conventions, but I was in a SR 4e f2f group that was run by a female GM and had 2 other female players. Like Athos said sometimes you got to look out of the box to find them. Or visit your local gaming club/hobby store. Many play RPGs, tabletop games like 40k etc. I also recommend conventions like Dragon*Con or the like to find female gamers in your area or around the world.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:40 pm
Profile YIM

Haha true, if you use this site and are a female gamer, you better respond, o.o or I'll find you.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW

They're just less common than guy-gamers. One of my sister's friends apparently has a D&D group, for example, but that's the only female gaming group I've personally heard of. There are at least 2 female gamers playing in one or two of the games I'm involved in over OpenRPG, and I've gamed with at least 7 or 8 others on OpenRPG over the years, maybe a few others that just aren't springing to mind right now since I've played or DMed with several different groups and some of them only lasted a few sessions or a few months. I've also seen a few in face-to-face gaming groups at one local gaming store or another, and I've played or DMed in at least 2 face-to-face groups before that each included a female gamer. Oh, and there are many participating in play-by-post campaigns, as well (outnumbering guys in some of those PbPs).

So they're definitely around, just not nearly so common as us. They do tend to be more roleplay-oriented than powergaming or dungeoneering on average, in my experience, but not always.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:01 pm

There ARE indeed female gamers...I'm one ;) My RL/BF got me into it...

Tue May 10, 2011 1:37 am

Take heart, Rone. We do exist.

Tue May 10, 2011 3:03 am

Rone wrote:
Haha true, if you use this site and are a female gamer, you better respond, o.o or I'll find you.

This right here is one of the reasons female gamers stay hidden. lol

Tue May 10, 2011 4:10 am